What is it?
The Simplified URL Effect is all about using a different, “better” domain name to help buyers find your website. (I wrote a more in depth LinkedIn article on domain names which you can find here)
Why does it work?
It works because it makes it easier for buyers to find you online. Having a domain name that’s easy to read, write, speak and spell as well as one that’s engaging or intriguing helps buyers to engage with you. If your business, product or service has an abstract name or one that is spelt in a non traditional way, it can prove a barrier in communication, so having a “better” or simpler domain name helps to make it easier.
How can you use it?
Depending on your offering, think about how you could have a more explanatory or easy to remember domain name. There are three easy ways you can do it:
THREE easy ways to get a simpler .com:
Buying a domain name to redirect is simple enough and they can be as low as £1-£10 per year.
You simply buy the domain and “point” it at your current website – no need to be more technical than that.
1. Action + your offering
Use a verb (a “doing” word) and your offering – how do people use or interact with what you do?
2. Adjective + your offering
Using a positive adjective (a descriptive word) plus your offering. How would you describe your product/service/result?
3. Common parlance / phrase
What’s the common term for what you do or offer? It’s always worth checking as having “the” domain name in your space is a powerful tool – think www.diy.com or www.toys.com.
Simplifying touch points
Making it easy for people to interact with you and buy from you is a crucial factor but so easy to miss. Here are 9 ways you can make it easier for people to contact you:
- Catchall email – Never miss an email by ensuring that [email protected] gets delivered.
- Memorable phone number – If you want people to call you, make it easy for them to remember your number.
- Simple Email Address – Make it easy for people to email you by having “obvious” email addresses.
- Freephone / Freepost– If you want people to call or write to you, then making it free ensures there are no barriers.
- Simplified URL – Using a domain that’s easy to read, write, speak, spell and remember makes life easier for your buyer.
- Start here domain – Make it easy for new buyers and clients to know how to interact with you.
- Misspelt domain – If there is a common misspelling of your name then it makes sense to own the .com domain.
- DM Word – Make it easy for people to direct message (DM) you by giving them a keyword to use.
- QR Codes – Make it easy for people in the real world to find you online.
Like this kind of stuff? Want more?
Then Practical Sales Training™ is for you…
Action focussed, affordable sales training
for entrepreneurs and small business owners.
Brought to you by James Newell